I notice a lot of solo practitioners and small law firm owners who don’t have a website. There is an even larger number who do not have a free Google My Business listing set up either. I can understand not having a website, but there’s no excuse to not have a Google My Business. They’re free. Read further to learn how to set up a Google My Business listing for your law firm that will get more exposure on search engines than your Avvo, Yelp, Facebook, LinkedIn, or Instagram pages will.
Why Every Lawyer Should Set One Up If They Haven’t Already:
- They are FREE and it only takes 5 minutes to set up the basics.
- They allow you the opportunity to show up on Google Maps & Google Search results, WITHOUT a website.
- You can gather VALUABLE Google Reviews for your business without a website.
- You can get added exposure by creating Google My Business POSTS that show up across Google Maps & Google Search.
- It allows you to start gaining HIGH-QUALITY clients from organic traffic that never would have found you before creating a Google My Business.
How to Set Up a Basic Google My Business Listing:
-This only mentions how to set up a listing and does not go into the more advanced aspects of listing optimization.
Step 1: Log into your Google Account that you would like to be associated with your listing.
Step 2: Go to https://www.google.com/business/.
Step 3: Click create a business or Sign In again and select create a new business if you were logged out.
Step 4: You should be at a page that looks like the below:
Step 5: Submit your business name and click next.
Step 6: This part is important. You are selecting whether or not you are adding a location that customers can visit, or if you provide goods and services to customers at their locations. If you are a remote law firm, click “No.” If you are a law firm with a physical office where you see clients, click “Yes.”
Step 7: Next you will be prompted to complete other information about your business. Fill out each section. Be honest and accurate.
Step 8: Finish up the form and you should be prompted to tell Google to mail you a letter. This letter normally arrives within 5 days and has a pin number you will use to verify your business is legitimate.
Step 9: Submit pin number after you receive it in the mail and your Google My Business listing will be live soon after.
(Optional) Step 10: Basic Optimizations
- Make sure your description is complete and has a few keywords for your practices areas
- Make sure you select what type of firm you are and be specific
- Do not put general practice lawyer if you mainly take family law cases
- Make sure your primary business type is the practice area that you focus on. You have the option to select one main type and multiple secondary business types
- Add a Logo and Cover photo along with many other photos. It is best to have some of the interior of your firm as well as exterior. You can add them as exterior or interior photos while uploading.
- Create a Google My Business post once per week.
Interested in search marketing services for your law firm? Contact us now to learn more about how we can supply you with a steady stream of new cases each month.